The World Turns To Ice

Sunday 1 August 2010

Feast Days

Yesterday was the feast day of St Joseph of Arimathea.  Did he really come to Glastonbury and plant his staff on the Tor?  Did it really grow into a tree and does it really flower every year on Christmas Eve.  I like to believe that its all true but that is because I love myths and legends, folklore and feast days.  They add depth to our everyday lives and remind us of who we are and where we come from.

I have included a page from my sketchbook which shows a painted sketch of Glastonbury Tor.  I am not a good painter but I like to think that is because I have never really practised it. I hope that one day I will decide to prioritise painting in the way that I have done with textiles.  I would love to be able to paint well.  I remember reading that Vincent Van Gogh decided that he wanted to become a painter when he was young and, at the time, he wasn't particularly good.  He had the will to push himself to paint and draw every day and through effort and practice he became a great artist.  A good artist would be a sufficient ambition for me but if greatness was thrust upon me I wouldn't complain. As you can see, I have a lot of practising to do yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment